"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Corn Moon and Cicadas!

Loud buzzing at twilight. I always called them "locusts". (crickets? katydids? Grasshoppers?) Now I'm hearing they are actually cicadas. Whatever they are, they sure raise a ruckus at nightfall! LOL They start their loud songs about sundown. I read that they come about every 17 years or so. 
Well, they sure do sound like summer. Summer before closed up houses and air conditioning. Summer nights so hot you tossed and turned and prayed for a cool breeze to sweep in from the screened windows. Nights when you heard the frogs singing, the cicadas buzzing, a far away train rumbling through to unknown destinations, it's whistle a lonely sound.

I call this "the fairy tale window". I've photographed it SO MANY times. It looks like a window Rapunzel or Cinderella would look out of, doesn't it?


Those may be big weeds growing from the old bricks of this church.....but to me, they really look like young TREES!


see the trees growing up there? LOL


Quiet summer streets and a heavy old gate....


Empty porches and piazzas.....guess it's too hot to even sit outside tonight. Plants droop in the blazing sun and sweltering heat of day...but they quickly recover and refresh during the daily summer thundershowers. Lawn chairs and porch swings have been abandoned as people retire to the cool air conditioned rooms in their homes, thankful for a break from the heavy heat of a Lowcountry summer.

Pretty summer wreath



Love this old stained glass! Isn't it pretty?


I love this unusual green door!


Remember when I bought my "mood ring"? At the "hippie chick" store? LOL I decided to wear it tonight. It turned this pretty shade of blue, I THINK that means "happy". ha ha


Arm candy for today--these old leather bracelets
. I have on three, and each one wraps around my arm two times.They are very worn, but leather gets better with age, right?

Someone's little front lawn has pretty shrubbery, statues, and fountains







Time-worn house---hanging on for dear life.......and hoping someone rescues and restores it!

Here I am standing on a corner, (in Winslow, Arizona.) OOOOPs, wrong song, ha ha LOL!---that was the Eagles, right?

old brick posts:

Here's a few pictures I took of this week's "corn moon", which became full and pretty last night.
It was whiter a few nights ago:

......and then became more yellow as it got fuller.

Also known as the "Harvest Moon", it happens once every three years.


Have you been outside to look at the moon this week?



Seen at the grocery store--probably the last we'll see of the maiden on the Land O Lakes butters---see her on a few of the remaining ones? And the new ones have just an empty circle there where she used to be.
........."Elvis has left the building"........

Hope your week is going well so far! Our heat index is 110 this week. If any of y'all have cooler weather, will you please share it with us?

9 comments:

  1. It will be awhile before we use the term cooler! We may set a record high today! We are around 90 most days but it doesn't cool off a lot at night and the humidity is high! I love walking with you though and you get to wear cute outfits and sandals! Love seeing all the old houses there and their uniqueness. And yes, our lanai is air conditioned...come on over! It will be grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi, No more maiden, kind of sad. I love that moon's glow . Praying someone comes along and saves that house, it better be soon. Water is ruination of wood. I loved seeing the pretty gates and statues. Well yes girl, your ring would be blue. I always think of you as a happy person. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there will no more of that butter? That is not good news. That heavy old gate hasn't been shut in a long time with all that shrubbery growing around it. That green door is unusual with it's slanted window. Love how you take such a variety of pictures from the groomed garden to the peeling paint. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever those insects are, I love to hear them!!!!

    But then, my hearing isn't what it used to be, and so, they will not be able to be too loud! ~grin~

    Oh yes, we are in lovely 70's by day and 60's and 50's at night. ~smile~ Sorry I can't send some, down to you!!!!

    Nope, not the Harvest Moon yet. (I explained this, recently) Anyway, calling a Full Moon, the Harvest Moon, depends on when the Equinox occurs. And Harvest Moon won't be till early Oct. this year. So this one, is the Corn Moon. ~smile~

    OH GOOD GRIEF!!!!!! The Land'O'Lakes Indian maiden has been deemed A MICRO AGGRESSION?????????

    Where will this lunacy stop????????

    🍁✨🍂✨🍁

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing all of the interesting homes and those wrought iron gates. Pretty moon pictures, too.

    Even as a child, I thought the Indian Maiden on the LandOLakes butter box was so pretty. Luckily, I had one of the Indian Maiden butter boxes
    that had been in the freezer, when they stopped using that box design. I saved it and put it up on the buffet. My husband came along several days later and said what is this empty butter box doing up here, as he threw it into the trash. I rescued it. It was still clean and nice. How weird, other things can set around the house for months and he never touches them or throws them away, but he spies my Indian maiden butter box and tosses it in the trash. I put it back on the buffet and told him to leave it alone, I always liked that Indian Maiden on that box, and they aren't putting her on their products anymore. Does anyone know if any Native American people are offended by this image. Sorry if I offended anyone by thinking the image was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sleep with our windows open at night, seems no matter how hot it gets during the day, the nights always cool down and come with a gentle wind. Execept last night when the smoke settled in our valley from the surrounding fire that is still 0 percent contained. God bless firefighters! We hear crickets and frogs chirp at night. Talk about the full moon, holy cow was it ever beautiful, big and yellow/orange gorgeous. Oh this 'politically correct' society. Really? Besides mostly hispanic our town is mostly surrounded by the Indian reservation. Do you really think they care if a Maiden is on a butter container? It just makes me go crazy. Anyway, have a great weekend its just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love taking these walks with you around your town. So beautiful. Love the windows, gates, and beautiful fountains and statues in the gardens. And that moon is gorgeous! And so is your mood ring! Haven't seen one of those in years! Yes, it has been extremely hot and humid here as well. Can't sit out on our new porch either. When I do have to stay outside for any length of time I come in and have to take a shower I'm so wet with sweat! Praying for fall to hurry on down here!! I'm melting! LOL. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we had a super beautiful morning, temperatures in the 60's, but it is heating up now. it is only suppose to be 85 today with lower humidity, so today is going to be great. we have a few small things planned!!

    i remember your ring, it is a pretty one!!

    you look good debbi and the pictures of the moon are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh and with reference to my post...we see dolphins and sharks in the actual ocean, sometimes pretty close in, but i have never see them in the inlet!! or heard of them being there!!

    ReplyDelete