"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Dirt Roads and........irons

 









I made the pictures below back in February. See what good little helpers I have around the house? ha ha LOL
I LOVE TO IRON. I know.....weird. So many hate that "chore" but I love it.
So I couldn't resist the cute little ironing board set for Tracie and Amybelle!


My love of ironing goes back to hot hot summer days with my Ma-Maw. I learned to iron by practicing on pillowcases and my Pa-Paw's big white handkerchiefs. The smell of starch filled the porch and ice cold glass bottles of Dr. Pepper were kept near-by, as well as a big glass pitcher of sweet tea. There was no air conditioning and summertime was hot. Fans set in open windows whirred warm air around, giving relief when you were inside.

The radio kept us company, playing Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash,  Dolly Parton,  Barbara Mandrell, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, and the happy gospel music of the Carter Family, Maybelle Carter and June Carter Cash.

We would take a break in the old porch swing, heavily and thickly padded with soft old handmade quilts.  We would fan with "church fans" and talk about what was for supper--maybe it was crispy pork chops and Ma-Maw's "tater" cakes, made from last night's left-over mashed "taters", oh...those were SO GOOD.  There would be cornbread slathered in sweet butter and a big bowl of black eye peas too.

Or maybe we would talk about the goings-on at the local Fair and who might win a blue ribbon for Apple jelly or be Fair Queen this year.... or something funny Johnny Carson said on last night's show to make us laugh.

Ma-Maw's big heavy clunky old iron wasn't anything like the shiny sleek models of today's irons. But she was quick and efficient with it, turning out freshly pressed shirts and pants with sharp sharp creases down the front.  Back then they even ironed "blue jeans".

Ruffly summer blouses, summer shorts, cotton pedal-pushers and seersucker culottes went from wrinkled messes to smooth and fresh. She even ironed her sheets, nightgowns, and pillowcases.

Now, I draw the line at ironing pillowcases and sheets, LOL. But I have always tried to keep Mr. Front Porch's work shirts crisply pressed. My favorite thing to iron is his short sleeve cotton summer shirts. 


The ironing board has a pretty floral cover.
The little hangers are so cute. And check out that adorable iron!

I had fun making these pictures, and yes, I did get alot of ironing done that day! ha ha LOL
So....do you iron anything anymore? Or do you avoid it? LOL


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I LOVE that sweet little ironing set! Tracie and Amybelle look so cute in their outfits, and they are certainly doing a great job of ironing!! I must show Lily Grace. She would love to come visit your girls. She is kind of bored here this summer. She needs to go on an adventure. We've just been so crazy so far this summer that I've had no time for "playing". I need to make myself relax and play again. I loved this post so much. Wish we could come join you on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did my comment go? I just added a comment about ironing...no I don't like to iron and I avoid it if I can. But once in a while I love to iron old fashioned pillowcases or some other vintage item. That I enjoy. But other than that I avoid it. LOL. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't enjoy ironing and seldom do it BUT I absolutely LOVED your story about ironing with your Ma-Maw!!!! You made pictures in my mind while I was reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what memories, and OHHHH that Dirt Road!!! Aside from a railroad-track disappearing around a faraway bend, that's my favorite-in-the-world place to travel. Such adventures and such goings-on to be had just around that curve, just past the flowin' well and on toward the church, with a stop for a big drink and a barefooted-wash before we went on. I know you sent that dirt road just for me---I need one about now.

    I could walk ten miles in my soft pink shoes, raising a little dust, whispering past that little rabbit family, stopping to grab a handful of those golden thumb-plums from the little trees by the road, and sitting a long time with my feet dangling off the side of the little wood-bridge, watching minnows flash amongst the gravel, and marveling at the tiny balancing steps of a water-strider, just strolling across the stream.

    I DID iron---boy, did I! Back when Chris was in uniform, I could iron a set of BDU's as well as the Post laundry, and when he wore suits to work, we never sent anything to the laundry---I washed everything in COLD and ironed them all. A Jane Austen or Lee Child on the BOSE, and I was good for the afternoon's ironing, with a bit of lavender in the spray and sometimes starch for a tablecloth. One of my favorite "chores," ever. So many memories you've kindled---I'll be smiling all day.

    ReplyDelete