"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Avon and other Oldies

Scents from days gone by.........

This is a vintage advertisement for Avon perfumes. So glamourous...and the bottles are so pretty. Do you recognize any of them?




Avon had adorable packaging for their children's products. I remember it well! These were probably little lip "pomades"--but of course, we pretended we were applying real lipstick!

Anyone remember "here's my heart"? How about Regence? Or Topaze? Persian Wood?





How about "Occur"? My Mom had this glossy black bottle on her dresser! A "diamond" twinkled in the exclamation point on the bottle, I loved looking at it.

Avon perfume "rollettes".....I remember these well....we all carried these in our groovy fringed purses! I had "Field Flowers" and later "Sweet Honesty"!

Yes, that eye make-up certainly does look "soft, and natural"!! LOL--but yes, we bought it and we wore it and we LOVED IT....those green and blue eye shadows! See that little tube on the ad with the pink lid?---that was my favorite eye shadow almost all through high school. I had it in soft blue and also like a celery green! And it shimmered! You applied it with your fingertip. I went through many tubes of it.


Avon had the PRETTIEST lipstick cases! So many different designs and colors! I loved them!

Beautiful lipstick



Anyone remember these little aqua plastic cases? Chock full of dozens of fun fun fun SAMPLES! Every good Avon lady had at least one of these boxes in her case! I loved the free samples, and they actually lasted a good long while!


Awwww---good old Sweet Honesty! This came out in Jr. High maybe? It smelled SO GOOD, and probably still does.....do they still sell it, I wonder?
Then they added Sweet Honesty make-up.




Pretty vintage bottle and yes, I did love the honeysuckle cologne!

I barely remember Moonwind, did it smell good?
Dusting powder came in such pretty containers back then, didn't it?

Now THAT'S CHARISMA!!--I remember my Mom collecting a whole set of this!! There was s full dresser set with cologne, powder, etc. all on a big red tray. (pictured above)





beautiful colors on this bottle of cologne--Hawaiian White ginger maybe?



that's Susan Dey, isn't it??


I dont know if that is a LIPSTICK or a concealer!!?--they did wear that pale pale lipstick in the 60s

(below)--Sleek, pointy bottles of Cotillion

Topaze had a little sparkly gold stone imbedded in the lids:



(above)--Cream sachets.....always a best seller with Avon. So many pretty and colorful little glass tubs of soft whipped creamy fragrance!

This hard plastic comb was VERY POPULAR with the Jr. High set, almost everybody had it!


Wow!--haven't seen this stuff in years!

I think this was called the Lollypop line and it was very popular with little girls. The lip pomade was in a little tube that had a cute lady on one side, and a mirror on the other side, very clever! The little girl's splash cologne came in the clear majorette boot pictured above.

I think this was maybe spray cologne? the hat was removable, and the spray underneath it

mirror on the other side

This is a pretty bird bottle. I don't have this one.


Adorable packaging with the little baton twirler on it. The baton was the powder puff, looks like?

I do have this bottle in my collection--it's a very pretty shade of deep blue.


Yes, I do remember this one!--mine had "Field Flowers" in it. It looked pretty sitting on a dresser

this one sure looks familiar but I sure don't remember what came in it? anyone? Sachet maybe?

Below--old catalog pages. I have a few of these bottles in my collection.  I think I see Charisma, Regance, Occur, and Rapture. What's in the pink bottles, anyone know? How bout the white bottle? Check out that big plastic sparkly "jewel" on the top of the Topaze bottle!


Oh  I remember this line!! Do not remember the name!! But this little mushroom/frog container sat on my bedroom dresser for many years! I think it had a cream sachet in it?

a little perfume rollette in the same frog/mushroom line

a bottle of spray cologne, I had this one too, I loved the pretty bottle!


a Skinny Dip gift set, a very very popular present to find under the Christmas tree in the early Seventies!

 Sure loved this scent and would recognize it IMMEDIATELY if I could smell it again today!---it was spicy and I loved it. There was a time when EVERY groovy young lady had a big bottle of this carrying it around in her purse. Many were dropped and broken inside purses...resulting in extra strong spicy skinny dip scent following young ladies around the classrooms all day.
We bought 45 rpm records and sang along with Three Dog Night, Carol King, the Carpenters, Carly Simon, Bobby Sherman, Bread, Melanie, and Cher. We swooned over David Cassidy's "Cherish" song and the Partridge Family's "I Woke up in Love this Morning" record.
At the skating rink we skated to Rare Earths "I just want to Celebrate" and Jerry Reed's "when you're hot you're hot", as well as "American Pie" by Don Mclean. Do today's kids even go to skating rinks anymore?? It WAS SO MUCH FUN!


Later on the company added on Lemon and Strawberry Skinny Dip--and I did like the Lemon, but nothing could replace the original


Sandy duncan in the t/v commercials

All I know is that SKINNY DIP cologne was BIG!--to be a "cool and groovy girl" you had to wear Skinny Dip!!Anyone remember the bottle below? My Ma-Maw had a bottle of this on her dresser!


Loved this Maybelline cream eye shadow, it was shimmery....I loved the green one!

Y'all remember Lemon Up shampoo?---OH MY GOODNESS, IT SMELLED SO SO GOOD! Bathrooms all over had these big tall bottles with the plastic lemons on the top. It was a great shampoo, I was so sad they stopped making it. I don't remember the original bottle caps splitting in two like those pictured above. The whole plastic lemon un-screwed and twisted off, to get the shampoo out. The ones pictured above are kind of like toothpaste tubes and that's not how I remember Lemon Up bottles. How 'bout you?

An ad for lemons.....here's a lemon soak bath

and here's Love's Fresh Lemon scents.........loved these so much! Went through so many bottles of the cologne splash, especially on hot summer days.....it just smelled so fresh and so good.
Do any of you remember "Jean Nate" body splash?

Also, about the time Love's Lemon was out, was when Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo debuted I think? It was an instant hit and the thick green shampoo smelled really good. It was so popular and smelled so good, they made a body lotion as well, and a body soap and maybe a cologne spray or powder?--I remember getting it in a gift set maybe?




What a lovely bottle!! Anyone remember this scent? Love the mermaid! My Mom says my Ma-Maw used this lotion and loved it.
I hope you have enjoyed this look back at the scents and cosmetics of yesterday!

NanaDiana and I were thinking along the same lines and  you can see lots more fun vintage stuff over on her blog at:

Diana's fun 60's 70s post!
She did three posts on the subject and her last one was foods we ate back then, in the "good 'old days". I love these fun looks back, it sure was a different world back then.
What do you remember?

6 comments:

  1. I remember so many of those products, Debbie. I wore Sweet Honesty for years- well into my 20s. We did wear the really pale lipsticks back in the late 60s. My cousin and I wore white lipstick and thought we were so cool. LOL...also loved the LemonUp!

    Thanks for the link- it is fun to remember all those 'old days', isn't it? I suppose our kids will remember "old cell phones" and CABLE tv and LAND LINES....lol

    Have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO remember all of these old fragrances and how I loved the scented bath oils. I also used a lip gloss that was in a pink tube but can't remember the name of it. I still see old AVON bottles in the thrift stores and I have a collection of small perfume bottles and several of them are AVON. FUN...FUN post! I love it! Makes me want to look through a catalog! Enjoy your weekend. It's cold, isn't it? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What memories you brought back to me!! I was an Avon Lady myself back in the late 60's. My mother wore Cotillion - I always associated that fragrance with her. She gave me Evening in Paris for Christmas in 1961. I thought it smelled heavenly.
    Loved walking down Memory Lane with you. Now I'll go over and visit Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone reading this article I just want to pass information to you that is reading this article, if you are facing difficulty in your relationship, here is what you will do that will restore peace to your home because I tried it and it work for me that is why I'm passing the information in case anyone have similar problem like break up, fallout with her husband, whatever it maybe just contact Dr ekpen temple and it will fix the problem for and you will be happy again in your relationship. Contact him now via: (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or on whatsapp +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many many memories as I read through all of these. I defiinitely loved Aquamarine and also Here's My Heart .... Another not listed which I loved was named Desert Flower I think (pink lotion).... I loved Avon and used some of the sachets.

    Thanks for the memories.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this was such a fun look back Debi! I do remember a lot of those....I'm not sure if my on sold Avon ever but we had tons of those little lipstick samples in every color! My dad collected the cars that had cologne in them...he probably had every one of them...I'm sure his 2ND wife has kept them since he has past away...we don't talk 😠 do you remember the Jewel T man? I remember him coming by with his case full of neat stuff....I remember that I liked a root beer drink mix..I was really young then!

    ReplyDelete