"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Lets go in this pretty house!

Look at the beautiful carvings on the door!



Welcome!--to one of my favorite old houses here in Charleston! Come in, come in! I would love to show y'all around!
This gorgeous old bannister post greets us!




This bannister looks to me like if you turned or twisted it just right, maybe a secret door to a secret room would swing open somewhere, LOL! Or if you knew the secret little spring/hatch thing one of those wood levels would lift up and you might find a  beautiful golden locket and a tragic love letter  from 1887 or so.....

Just think of all the hands that have touched, grabbed, and polished this thing over the years....


........and how many families have gone up and down these steps. This house was built in 1885, so it has seen alot of history.



"There is comfort in old houses,
like a mother's arms
 or a friend's kind words,
There is joy in time-scarred timbers, 
in slated roofs and boards.
I am one with an old house,
I am one with it's pains and joys.
An old house shared the travail of my mother,
an old house shared my baby toys.
Old houses have a blessed look,
that is one with God's great plan.
Old houses have a tenderness,
from the baby's crawl to the stride of the old man.
I am one with an old house,
I am one with it's kind embrace.
An old house shared my mother's love.
An old house knew my mother's lovely face.
.....Homer D'Lettuso
Pretty fireplaces and bay windows
They have totally re-done the kitchen.
It's all modern now.


These tall doors lead out to the breezy piazzas upstairs and down alike. On a hot summer day in Charleston, ALL YOU WANT TO do is sit out there, maybe in a rocking chair! LOL

Howdy, Y'all! I see you up there!

I have always loved these pretty stained glass windows upstairs!







they totally gutted and re-did this garden....it is still pretty but I loved the old fashioned garden that used to be here, and it had a nice arch down at the end, with vines.



This is what the house looked like several years ago......
.......and this is it now.
Another picture from years ago:
and the home now:

Glad you came with us! Hope you enjoyed seeing this pretty house!

4 comments:

  1. Love your tours and thoughts like about the bannister. Not sure of the mixture of the old with the new, think I would prefer the old though out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous, what a beautiful home, i would love to buy it and live there. the old with the new makes it eclectic and i really like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHH!!!!

    More! More! More!!!!

    Please!!!!!

    How delightful. What a magnificent house.

    Love those porches. And one part, upstairs, is screened in. Perfection.

    -happy sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbi, several posts ago you showed your book finds you purchased. One of the books was Rich in Love. I didn't know it was a novel. I had seen the movie which was delightful. And as always the book is better than the movie. I really enjoyed reading the book. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next book finds.

    ReplyDelete