"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Summer Reads

Why do I have two copies of Afton Villa?


Because I bought myself a copy and fell in love with all the beautiful pictures of this Louisiana garden, and the story of who started this garden back in the 1800s. I loved it so I went and bought a dear friend a copy to send her for her birthday!

The huge forty room Victorian plantation home burned to the ground in the 1960s. The once beautiful gardens deteriorated and fell apart. The place was full of ashes and weeds. The whole place sat there in ruins until a couple purchased it and began to restore it in the early 1970s. The book shows what they did and how they did it.
well, my photographs don't do the book justice..........sigh
Awwww, look at the precious little girls dancing around the May Pole!
The beautiful estate is now open to the public and has lovely restored gardens full of cherry trees and azaleas, and about 20 acres of gardens, including the famous "ruins garden". It looks like a very interesting place to visit.--Who wants to go with me? ha ha LOL

I finished "Daisy and the Six" and "Swimming for Sunlight". Both great summer reads. "Swimming" was loosely based on the famous Weeki Wachee Mermaids that I love so much, and also had a sweet dog in the story who suffered from really bad anxiety. It was a quick and enjoyable read, set in present day Florida.

Haven't read these two yet. Have any of you?

Have never read this author, have any of you?


All by Hazel Gaynor, I discovered her this summer and loved her historical type books!


I finished "Wartime Sisters" last night. I loved it!
I've never read Nancy Thayer, so looking forward to the "Secrets in Summer" one!

I was on the wait list for this one at the library for quite awhile. It finally came in last week. I finished it a few days ago. I loved the story and the characters,(story about three women, one a freed slave) and the time period( 1920s South Carolina I think it was).I hung in til the end because I wanted to see how it all ended up but some parts of this book were pretty weird.

Well, this book is about fairies, so I took it outside to photograph it with fairies! LOL



Isn't she sweet??

Here I am with the little fairies, LOL!
Beads today--are my turquoise color beads with the circles woven in. I got this necklace for my birthday last year

So far I've read a few chapters of the Drew Barrymore book
I picked up this Belva Plain book at the thrift store this week. I used to love her books! I read alot of her back in the 80s and 90s, I believe? This one has three whole novels in it and it sure is a big heavy book! LOL!

7 comments:

  1. I have not read for a long time...a whole book that is. I need my cataracts removed so I can see well again. I used to read all the time. Proud of my daughters, they always joined the book club at the library every summer when school was out. They still read. My great grands already love books and are 4.3, 2, 1&1/2. :) You looked pretty in the aqua colored sweater and necklace. Blessings, xoxo , Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a super fast reader! I'm not familiar with any but the Wartime Sisters looks like my kind of book and I love the cover on The Summer House! Summer is such a good time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous books....I know your friend will love hers.
    You always look so cute...love your beads here.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first book is gorgeous and what a wonderful story. I use to read more than I do today and have been trying to do more recently but I too have a cataract and it is a bit of a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only book I recognize is the one by Belva Plain! I have that same one and I, like you, read lots of her books back in the 80's and 90's! It's been so long that IF I have read this one - I will most likely not remember so it will seem like new! Love your outfit and that necklace! Pretty Lady as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first book really is gorgeous! I will put a lot of these books on my reading list! I hope and pray we are both spared from the hurricane that's on it's way. We are busy preparing and I'm going to cook extra today in case the power goes off. Take care of yourself my friend and let me know if you have to evacuate! I'm praying for us all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i were a reader, your books are all so beautiful. especially the first one, your friend is going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete