"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Georgia visit

 We headed to Savannah, Georgia for our anniversary







The entrance to beautiful Wormsloe.

One of the first Colonists who came to Georgia was Noble Jones. Noble named his estate Wormsloe after his township in England (Wormslow) and built a tabby house. He raised cattle and planted all kinds of crops....corn, potatoes, oranges, rice, cotton, figs, peaches, and mulberry trees to make silk.


The entrance alley to this historic place is gorgeous!




Trees twist together to form this grand avenue




I asked the lady in the gift shop if anyone knew how many oak trees there are lining the entrance to Wormsloe. She immediately responded 404, I believe she said. Each one is numbered and identified and taken care of. 














I think the entrance is a mile and a half long









the grand masonry arch at the entrance




After making pictures at the oak alley, I knew my summer sandals were not going to work for a two hour hike, LOL!! I brought my thick socks and boots for comfort and protection on the trails in the woods. So I changed my shoes, we packed up our water, insect repellant, etc......and off we went.


Pretty things in the Gift shop!

Books and nicely matted photos and art





and this little bird kinda jumped out at me and said " please take me HOME!"......So I DID! LOL
It was the very last one they had, so I am glad to get it
(above)...my postcards I bought
Huge gnarled old trees





Ruins of the old tabby house. It was surrounded by 8 foot walls to protect the family from Indians and Spanish attack









It was a very hot day, but the paths in the pine forest were nicely shaded, so that helped





I've been hoping to spot a Painted Bunting for YEARS.....and still have not seen one!







Enjoying our hike through the Coastal forest

Recreation of an old Settlement

Buildings and tools were on display



















a bride in black lace getting pictures made
















Wormsloe has remained in the same family since the 1700s.  I loved reading about the history of the early settlers in Georgia.
Glad you came along with us and hope you enjoyed Wormsloe! I thought it was a beautiful place!



























3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversry and thanks for taking us with you to such a beautiful, historic place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me to plan a visit to Wormsloe ... but I will wait until November and bring the whole family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! What a gorgeous place!!! And you are adorable in your Boho outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete