"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The First Day....of a new Decade

On New Years Day we went for a walk. It wasn't nearly as COLD as the previous night!
"City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
dressed in holiday style.
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas.
It's Christmas time in the city......."
(below)I see a pretty gold mirror up there!

......and the city is still all decorated and lit up for Christmas.
I got a new skirt to wear during the holidays...it's much more "gold" and shimmery/sparkly than the pictures show. And you know how I LOVE those plaid shirts! ha ha LOL

It's getting dark now, and a little chillier.....putting my thin furry jacket and my big 'ole shawl on!!

(below) Just love these candles in all the windows!
Glimpses of Christmas trees, bright poinsettias, and wreaths:

I love this blue door!!

Time to head on in....we've worked up an appetite for our New Years day supper! Corn bread, pork chops, and blackeyed peas ( I added whole green beans, peppers, and butter beans) I usually do fried "taters" as well, but not this year.


We had pecan pie for dessert. I got a cheesecake but forgot to thaw it! LOL
I've been collecting these American Girl storybooks for Fairy Granddaughter for a couple of years now, (and YES!--giving her the DOLLS! lol) waiting for her to be old enough to read them. Isn't Samantha adorable in her hat with the ribbon, her black stockings, and bow in her hair? She sure looks like she is out taking a walk on our Charleston city sidewalks, but I am pretty sure this book does not take place here.

The stories are great, and the pictures are so pretty!--fun to look at even if you are a "grown-up". They are all set in different places, and different ERAS, a very fun way to learn about history!

Looks like a lovely Victorian parlour....marble top table, big urns full of flowers, look at that pretty lamp with the flowers on it! The Grandma looks to be from Victorian times, but Samantha looks to be in a shorter dress, perhaps the early 1900's?
I think this is Samantha's family....and all the characters in the story. It says Samantha is nine years old and orphaned, and lives with her wealthy Grandma.




I love looking at children's books! I love books with beautiful colorful pictures! And I love sharing them with our Fairy Granddaughter, and also with y'all!

6 comments:

  1. You look pretty in your new gold skirt! I love that blue door too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the candles in the windows and think the granddaughter is going to love those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when all the lights go off after the holidays. Then it is just winter, but everyday it gets closer to spring.

    Your skirt is very nice, Debbie, and you wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbi and Happy New Year to you! Look look very cute in your new skirt on your walk. I love seeing all of the pretty shots of your town you share with us. Oh, I didn't know about the American Girl books! I got my little granddaughter an American Girl doll a few years ago and sewed and crocheted a boat load of clothes for her.
    Here's to another year of blogging with you.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windows at night are so pretty! And what fun things to do with the books. Love the family tree page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy new year debbi, i'm a little late getting around!! in the 4th picture, i really love that pretty wreath!!

    i had all my decorations down and packed away by new years. we cleaned the house and it felt great!!! i make chocolate pecan pie and it is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete