"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, June 22, 2019

My fans


I thought I'd show y'all my fans, since several of them have popped up in recent posts.....the one from the cemetery in Savannah, my new one I just bought at Middleton Plantation, and I also love my fan from Magnolia Plantation last spring. Both my "plantation" fans were purchased on birthdays, so they are special to me.
I started collecting fans a couple of years ago.

Does anyone remember "church fans"? They were placed in the pews with local advertisements on the back of  them, for the ladies to fan themselves with.....back then churches didn't have air conditioning, especially little country and mountain churches in the South, prior to the 1970s as well as small towns. So the fans were a welcome sight on hot summer Sunday mornings! Most of the old fans had absolutely beautiful scenes on them, not only of Jesus praying, the Last Supper, Jesus at the Door, angels, etc. but very pretty scenes of children at play, birds and nature scenes, pictures of churches, etc. My Magnolia fan looks like a church fan--they had wood handles. I haven't see a church fan in YEARS, but I do remember them!
This Etsy page has some fans like the ones I remember: (click below)

Old fashioned church fans

(I enjoy looking at the old advertisements!--some neat things! fun!)



This one is my "church fan". It goes to church with me every Sunday, because sometimes I get hot and you never know if the air conditioning might be out of service, yes that has happened. LOL I made this picture in  a park on Mother's Day this year.


in church last Sunday on Father's Day--I actually took a different fan!

I love the shades of green on this one!

Did I mention how I love the dainty little tassels on fans?







So, after I made the photographs, Mr. Front Porch made this picture of me with some of my fans!
We walked on, then about that time I realized something. There was a a time in history when the ladies and girls of Charleston ALWAYS carried a pretty fan with their little pocketbooks as they "strolled about" on these old streets. Fans were necessary to help keep them cool, not just pretty things to collect. I think they also "flirted" with those fans, but that is a whole other post, ha ha LOL!

Do you have a fan or two? What do you collect?

5 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! It’s not very warm where I live, not much need for fans, we don’t even need air conditioning lol but I love them! They are a beautiful thing to collect. I collect amethysts, quartz, and violet tea cups, I only have three but that’s a collection right ? Lol. that’s all, when we down sized It was a drastic down size,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a few fans and my favorite is one that is all cardboard and folds into itself so that it becomes very small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have never heard of collecting fans but it sure does make sense!! all of these are so very beautiful with their array of colors and prints, i did not know they had tassels!!

    i assume they all fold so they make a great collectible, not taking up a lot of space when stored!!

    what a pretty picture of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a woman of a certain age and always carry a fan in my purse! LOL! Yours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's a fun collection! I should dig out my fans from Japan for summer. I saw them recently -- and now, who knows where they landed! Your collection is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete