"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, May 2, 2024

RUINS


A nice country drive brings us here............


Welcome to the Ruins!


Twisty tree limbs wrapped in Spanish moss and Resurrection Fern







Tammie and Bindie say "yes, LET'S GO!"

Creaky old gates and round gate posts welcome us









We used to enjoy coming here before they put up the black fencing. Back then, you could walk all around and inside the big columns. They put fences up because of vandalism.


So.....what exactly IS THIS place?
Who built this, and what year?
Who is buried here? What happened here during the Civil War?
If you are curious about what these ancient bricks and big columns are, click below.


(it's the third post down on that page)











I love making pictures of things with lots of colors and textures. So I can make pictures here for HOURS! lol





The fences keep you from walking around inside now.



















Love these ancient old bricks!

















































The girls got THIRSTY!























As is the custom, I leave a trinket of respect. I'd actually forgotten to bring anything, but was lucky to find a sparkling blue fairy stone in the bottom of my pocketbook to place here.

















As we walked around, one bird kept getting louder and louder.  We pretty quickly spotted a bright red bird and thought, "oh, a cardinal". Only it wasn't. We looked and looked and neither of us recognized this bird.
It was frantically flying and diving up and down and calling sharply and loudly.... to detract us from it's nest of babies.

I looked up birds and I'm pretty sure it was a Summer Tanager. My first time to see one!
I have several good bird spotting/identifying books, but not with us.
It didn't have all black wings, so still not sure?

I was thrilled to spot my first one!



What a pretty pretty bird!!









the old water pump. Yes, it still works



bricks inside this old tree

Hope y 'all liked walking about through these old ruins! It's a quiet and peaceful place. I love to come here. There is no noise.
Just whispers from the past.......














6 comments:

  1. Oh my! what a beautiful and somewhat sad place. Sad, that it had such a difficult history, and yet it remains so beautiful in its ruined state! I loved the old beauty of this place and the cemetery headstones with all their inscriptions...such a history of real people who lived and died there so long ago! Wow! Thank you for sharing the history with us. I went back to your other post and saw that too. Oh, and a Summer Tanager! How wonderful! They are so elusive! You are blessed to see one! And even better to be able to capture it on "film" so you could share it with us! What a lovely day, and such gorgeous pictures of you and the doggies in such a delightful place! Thank you for sharing it with us, and for your comment on my post too!! Have a lovely day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo hoo...I lost my comment. It reloaded. But I do love this beautiful place to walk and what a wonderful bird sighting. The tanager is one of the most colorful birds we can see. It's such an unusual color! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loose my comment almost every time i first comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love everything about this post, the 4th image is my favorite!! although i have never been wild about cemeteries, i enjoyed your images. the summer tanager is beautiful, you are lucky to see them, i do not see them here. i am glad you have books that will help you to id the birds you are seeing!! i have never heard of leaving a trinket at a cemetery, i think that is a great idea!!

    i can't believe that old water pump worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always look forward to all your posts. Your hair is getting so long! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So where is this place - or did I miss it? The ruins are amazing. I like the trees with the moss. I also like the street with the arched trees. Very pretty place.

    ReplyDelete