"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Aprons

 

one of my childhood aprons

"Do you remember the history of Aprons?

I don't think most kids today know what an apron is. The principle use of Mom's or Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven, it was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, she wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. 

From the garden it carried all sorts of vegetables . After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the Fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from trees. 

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust  in a matter of seconds. 

When dinner was ready, she walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men-folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old time apron" that served so many purposes. 

REMEMBER, Moms and Grandmas used to set hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron!

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron......but LOVE! "

......from Do You Remember instagram

these are an assortment of my Mom's childhood aprons and mine. Most of these are from the 1940s, they are treasures to me.



This is the apron our daughter made me while she was in High School. It's embroidered "MOM", and I wear it every Thanksgiving.



There is an article about aprons in the November issue of Country Living magazine.






Country Living magazine





Country Living magazine

a friend sent me this adorable egg apron last year--it has little pockets to put eggs in! Fairy Granddaughter likes to put this on when she is going to get the eggs.


Do you use aprons?
Do you have any memories of aprons?

4 comments:

  1. OH, I LOVE your aprons!! They are all so special, especially because they were made with love and have such loving memories attached. yes, I do wear aprons quite often...especially when we have company for dinner. I often forget to take it off when I sit down to eat, so it ends up in pictures. LOL. I also have some old aprons that belonged to my hubby's grandmother, but they are so old and some are falling apart because of their age. But I keep them anyway to remember her by. She was a wonderful woman, and I was privileged to get to know her before she died. I love your chicken/egg apron. What a cute idea! How are you doing? I hope all is well with you. Oh, I made Lily Grace a "paper apron" to use when we are baking cookies and stuff together. She loves to wear it! Have a happy weekend. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know the story of the apron and thought it was really cool. Aprons like so many things in our life have sort of slipped out of our everyday lives. I have two aprons, full front coverage aprons, that were made for me but, I hardly ever put them on. I totally forget about them. I do not have any aprons from my mom or my grandma. Such sweet memories though to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was such a sweet story about aprons, my mom always wore one. she has not given any to me and i am not sure where they are now. i LOVE the mom apron your daughter made...it must feel super special to wear. i don't often wear an apron, by the time i think of it, i am usually almost done cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Nana always wore an apron in the kitchen and this post brought back wonderful memories for me! Thanks for all the reminders of how useful aprons were - I have one apron, but rarely wear it!

    ReplyDelete