"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Jestines

Early in April we had supper at Jestines, one of our favorites.



The restaurant is named after Jestine Matthews. She was born in the Lowcountry in 1885 and her father was the son of a freed slave. He was farming land on a local plantation and that is where Jestine remembers being as a child. Early in the 1900s, Jestine came to Charleston and worked as a laundress and a housekeeper. 
She met the Ellison family and went to work for them.  The Ellisons had one child, a girl and they named her Shera. Jestine's is now owned by Sheras' daughter, I think. Jestine had a life long friendship with the Ellison family and they enjoyed her home cooking so much they named this restaurant in her honor. Jestine lived to be 112 years old! Isn't that something!?
This is Jestine:
picture from internet



lots of sweet tea!


The walls and the windowsills have dozens of sets of salt and pepper shakers....so many kinds! They are fun to look at!
They have meat loaf and mashed "taters", greens, corn bread, okra, pork chops and gravy, corn fritters, fried green "maters", Po-boys, oysters, shrimp creole, shrimp and grits, gumbo and lots of good things. Granddaughter liked the macaroni and cheese, Mr. Front Porch had fish, and daughter had the meat loaf. I think I even saw peanut butter and banana sandwiches on the menu!
I spy an RC! I do love an ice cold RC Cola once in awhile! Especially with popcorn! I know alot of people like their RC with a Moon Pie!




more salt and pepper shakers

they bring little bowls of ice box pickles to the table right away

I had fried shrimp, fries, and cole slaw


my coconut cream pie was served on this cute little old fashioned plate. Daughter had something called "coca cola cake". I think they had banana pudding too.

Afterwards we walked across the street, little granddaughter wanted to sit in "the big fancy purple chair" she saw.


I guess it kind of does look like something from a fairy tale, doesn't it? LOL

............and then we took a short walk. It was one of the last really chilly evenings and I had on a winter coat!

9 comments:

  1. What a fun place to eat. I love the history behind it, too. That is a "princess" chair for sure. Glad you enjoyed your meal and time together even if it was a tad chilly. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute post. You have such a great way with words...
    That is the kind of place I love to eat at. Mostly soul foods....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to eat there!! Ate okra in Texas and it was sooooo good. It is a southern thing you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi, I really liked reading this post. It does look like a very nice place to eat. All southern dishes too. What a big princess chair. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food sounds amazing! I've been hungry for some good ole homemade mac and cheese! And now I see some pretty bracelets on your arm...I think I see one that is blue. Can I borrow it sometime? hehehehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I think it comes from living in Tennessee until age 13. Take care. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spots like that with loads to look at! And time with your Grand, too! Did I miss a post with new hair? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks like such a cute restaurant. i like non-chain places like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post, Debbie. When we travel, we love to find out where the "Locals" eat. Those are always the best places... I hope you will do more restaurant reviews from Charleston....

    I talked about a new book you would enjoy reading on my blog today....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete