"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Distressed


I spy many of these old "distressed" properties all around the city as I'm out walking. I am so drawn to them--guess it is my love of history and the past and absorbing and soaking in all I can of times and eras gone by. My curiosity of the people that came before us and the way they lived keeps  me busy reading and researching and yes.....photographing. Lots and lots of photographing!


Some are most definitely lived in and many abandoned and empty.

This poor house here.....makes you wonder what happened to it? What happened to the owners? Where did they go? Why did they leave it to fall into such dis-repair?

I could tell that at one time it was loved and beautiful with alot of nice carving and woodwork and nice big tall windows to let in lots of light and Charleston breezes. And it had a lovely upstairs porch to sit and enjoy an afternoon coffee break or evening newspaper. Remember--back in that era that is how everyone got their news--the morning and evening newspapers. There sure wasn't any "internet" or "online" anything. LOL


Just look at the magnificent old white columns on this one. Do you suppose a family once gathered here on a Sunday afternoon after church to watch the children and grandchildren play on the lawn? Did the children chase puppies and did the mother grow pretty camellias and roses  in that yard?... So old.....so many stories to tell. 

(below)An old garage apartment maybe? An old kitchen house?  old guest house?
The colors, the textures, the many layers on these old old houses and buildings are literally layers of HISTORY. If we study it and really see it....we can learn alot.
Forgotten houses boarded up. 


This old stone fence/wall has many many layers of interesting surfaces and colors!


I love walking along and looking at this mossy green old wall and every time I see something new and different. This is one of my favorite alleys in our city. It gets long and very skinny and is very photogenic. 

(below) Another close up of the "layers of history" i am so fascinated with. I think I made these photos over on Longitude Lane. These are some of my favorite pictures.
Just think what all those old bricks and stones have heard and seen. According to alot of the history I read and study, many of the alley-ways were dueling places and many men, young and old, fought to the death to settle their disagreements over land, money, drinking debts, and ladies. Philadelphia Alley was notorious for this and  Darius Rucker (Hootie and the Blowfish) filmed one of their music videos there.  They say many of the alleys are haunted. They have always seemed like peaceful and friendly places to me though.


 I especially love this one....there are many different sections and areas on this old house that keep me busy photographing at different times of the day with the different lighting and also different seasons. I think this is over at St. Michael's Alley.








And *BOOM!* WATCH OUT....that's an awful big step there coming out of that door! ha ha LOL
The only thing I can figure is that there was a porch on this home long ago and it was removed?

8 comments:

  1. Debbi, What a shame that these homes fall from neglect. I have always thought those in city council should find the owners, force them to repair and maintain properties or sell off so others' can take care of them. Otherwise it is a total waste....and cost money in the long run. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad to see something so wonderful ignored and left to decay. Like you I often wonder what the old house would tell us if it could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad to see these old buildings go into decay. They are usually too expensive for the average person to restore, and the only recourse is for a Historical Society to take over. However, they have to pick and choose because of limited funds. We go through that here in PA also and it breaks our hearts when the only thing that can be done is to tear them down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad --seeing beautiful homes in such a condition.... Just think of all of the history. I hope more people will buy these older homes and renovate them.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one home could be so gorgeous. Well, probably all of them. It just hurts to see these go into decay. I know renovation is pricey but oh, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a certain charm to these older home, I prefer to see them maintained, cared for and loved!! They could be so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like seeing the old houses also, however in this area where I live now and have for 40 years they tear down any property similar to those old worn out houses.
    When I was a kid always remember seeing those old houses in the south when we would visit an Aunt, love the old brick
    ps I like any kind of cake or pies LOL

    ReplyDelete

  8. Super interesting.
    I loved meeting the blog.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete