"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Books and more Books

I love old books!

the top three books are old children's readers

they have bright pretty pages and old fashioned scenes....so fun to look at!








Sometimes books contain little surprises....like this old newspaper article


I remember reading this book when I was in 6th grade
I loved selecting new books from the Scholastic book club, every month. The day the books arrived was always exciting because you got to take home brand new glossy paper-back books, plus see what everyone else had chosen. Then the reading and the trading back and forth would begin.
Mysteries were super popular!

Look at these girls on the cover of "Claudia"--in their Marcia Brady hairstyles, mini dresses, Mary-Jane shoes, and knee socks! LOL


I loved the "Ginnie" books and read them all, I think. I also loved the "Magic Elizabeth" book














Have any of you read any of these old Blythe Girls novels? Somehow I missed these. I am not sure if these are young adult or teen novels or what. Anyone know? I'm going to have to check into these.










Some of these books have beautiful and colorful covers!


I read Little Women so many times!

This was one of my favorite books!

I think this little Candy Stripers novel was sometime in Jr. High......see the price?--Only 50 cents!!



As we got older, we started reading teen romance novels. They were so sweet and so entertaining! Those three above are Whitman teen novels, I think they were called. They were nice little hardback books with hard shiny covers. I bought them with my babysitting money!
Is it just me?--or does the cover on the first one look like Sandra Dee and the middle book looks like Patty Duke and the one on the right looks like Marlo Thomas in "That Girl". ?
I LOVED watching the Patty Duke show, and "That Girl".


The cover on the book below---teens sure don't talk on phones like THOSE anymore, do they? LOL
I just loved Beverly Clearly and Rosamond du Jardin!!



By sixth and seventh grade, we were devouring the "malt shop novels". I read them all, over and over.






The book below was most definetly  a "malt shop" novel!! ha ha LOL






Most of us read Seventeenth Summer in 7th or 8th grade. It was a good book!

(below)---Gidget? LOL I loved watching "Gidget" and also "The Flying Nun".




Anyone else read Betty Cavanna books?





Everybody read "Sunshine". It was a tv movie as well
 and had alot of John Denver songs in it. I loved John Denver.  There were some great actors and actresses in this movie too, like Cliff DeYoung, Meg Foster, Brenda Vaccaro, and Bill Mumy. I grew up watching Bill Mumy as little Will Robinson on the "Lost in Space" t.v. show.
 Also I didn't know this until recently, but the child actor who played the little girl (Jill) in the movie was Lindsay/Sidney Greenbush (twins) who later on became Mary and Laura Ingalls little baby sister, Carrie...on "Little House on the Prairie"!

And then there was "Ode to Billy Joe".
Robby Benson and Glynnis O Conner starred...wonder what happened to them? Everybody sang along to the old 1967 Bobbie Gentry song about Choctaw Ridge. I think Robby Benson was later on in a movie called "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" or something like that?--anyone remember?


We sure loved Teen magazine!


this is Colleen Corby, right?


I dont think any of these magazines exist anymore....
(below)--Looks like Twiggy eyelashes and make-up. Anyone remember Twiggy?

What were your favorite books and magazines as a young girl and a teenager?
Did you love the library and the bookmobile?
Did you buy the Scholastic books in school?
Did you keep any of your old books and magazines?

4 comments:

  1. What a collection! I missed the traditional reading of youth but I did love to read and still do.
    You must have had a wonderful childhood and I loved reading about your reading memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading so many of these - thanks for the trip down memory lane, Debbi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- all these can't possibly be yours are they? I remember so many of the titles you showed here and probably even have some of them. Scholastic books -- I did that too and loved them. The Candy Striper book inspired me to be our hospital's equivalent (Bluebirds!) and I remember (and still have) the Janet Lambert teen books. I had all the mysteries -- Kay Tracy, Trixie Belden, Donna Parker, Cherry Ames -- so many others. What a totally fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO excited to see your post and read about these amazing old books. Many I remember...some I do NOT! The Ginnie books? I'm going to have to find those! In fact I'll look for several you mentioned, probably in Open Library online. They have lots of books that are out of print. My favs that you have are the old readers. I have a few in my collection and I think I'll get a couple out today and read them. I love the illustrations and happy stories. I always loved the Summer Weekly Reader. I looked forward to it coming in the mail every week. I haven't been able to find any of those to collect though. There are a few good articles about them online. Enjoy your day sweet friend. Hugs and hugs!

    ReplyDelete