"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, August 26, 2023

happy hour orange




"The month of August had turned into a griddle where the days just lay there and sizzled....."  

                                                                                                .....Sue Monk Kidd


 time for Happy Hour! This is our happy hour, in the garden towards the end of another scorching heat filled day, or on the porch.


Supper bowls treats ready for the ladies.....yes, I spoil them. LOL They love kale, CORN, bits of most any meat especially ham or hamburger, (and TUNA!) scrambled eggs, rice. We don't waste anything here. And on these sweltering hot summer days....they enjoy ice cold watermelon bits. I love chopping and preparing their bowls, I find it very relaxing.

(above)....that's my newest "baby", Rose. I think she's right at 16 weeks old now. She grew much faster than the hens in our first flock. Sadly, we lost her sister, Blanche last week.

Rose and Blanche, just hatched

.....and (below)...their last picture together






"a garden should be a sanctuary. It should push back the wilderness and be an intimate place.....safe from lions and elephants, whatever was out there. "   .....Swindler






At one time, somebody planted a perfect straight line of daylilies out in a field. Don't know who, or what year it could've been.  They are heavily threaded and choked with weeds, but still I asked Mr. Front Porch to not mow them down until we were SURE. Sure enough, last week, a big white one bloomed.

my old maids....in many colors





SO STYLISH!! ha ha One of my typical "garden get-ups". LOL!! ha ha. Always tucking pants or pedal-pushers into big long black or white socks, trying to ward off the "skeeters". I often wear big black boots over those, but this day I was in my dirty old garden/chicken coop clogs.
 Normally I use long sleeves too, so they don't bite up my arms. On extremely bad days, we wear headnets to work in the garden or chicken coop. We look REAL FUNNY in those! ha ha LOL But they DO help, keeping those dang varmits off your face and out of your eyes and nose!
"No-see-ums rivaled the mosquito for the position of State Bird. They were all but invisible ferocious little bugs that would DEVOUR you like piranhas. Well, almost. My Daddy used to call them "flying jaws".
                            ........Dot Frank, Lowcountry Summer



Glad you stopped by for happy hour with me today! Icy Orange sodas sure taste great on these hot sweltering Summer evenings.

7 comments:

  1. those chickens are eating really well, i hope they are producing lots of eggs!! i like your "working in the garden clothes", they are so cute, colorful and bright!! i cut my daylilies down to ground level every fall, completely cleaned up so they are not visible at all. they come back beautifully every year!! i have not had orange soda in years...it looks so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the swans i featured on my blog saturday were different than the baby swans i featured in early summer. that lake is much further from my house and i did not go back and follow up!! i hope you are ok and did not suffer any problems with the storm!!

      Delete
  2. I'm jumping on here to tell you that I'm keeping you in my prayers! I know that you are in the path of the storm....and so are we. Take care and I'll check with you later in the week! Be safe!!! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Icy Fresca Orange in my bottom bin---cans, ready for a colorful straw on a Summer evening. Prayers for the safety of all in that storm-path---may it spin into nothing before landing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbi you look splendid and I love the bowls you make for the girls. I'm so sorry about Blanche! But Rose is precious. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job. Cute chicken, healthy food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that orange soda sure looks good and cool and refreshing! I love it, but haven't had any in a long time because I rarely ever drink soft drinks anymore. But that looks so good I wish I had one! LOL. I enjoyed your post...I just now saw it because we've been working our way through Idalia...and now it's up knocking on your door. I pray you are safe and sound and that Idalia just goes away without leaving any "presents". Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete