"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Last Light Over Carolina" village

With Mary Alice Monroe's book set in the tiny fishing village of McClellanville, of course I wanted to visit!



I've been a Mary Alice Monroe fan from the beginning, and love all her books. I have "Summer Girls" on my stack of books to read and just found out there is a sequel to it called "Summer Wind". I met Miss Monroe at one of her book signings at Litchfield Books, and she is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet!


A great day for a spring adventure out on the back roads!

On the way we passed this nursery:


Love those colorful frames they have hanging up!


(below)  another little town out that way. Seems like there arent that many little towns left with these old fashioned water towers.

(below) a little history of the village


(above)....a lovely old historic home

This is a sign over by the Bull's Island Ferry:


A neat gate out that way

Downtown scenes:



A lovely historic church. I believe this is carpenter Gothic style, isn't it???
This village has some amazing old live oaks. Gnarly, twisted, leaning, stretching, creaking old trees. I love them. Especially with Spanish moss dancing from them.
We had a spring picnic at the little marina amongst the boats




It was a slushy, muddy, spring day. Look at this swampy scene!


Another lovely old church

Some 'older' homes:


..........and a newer one!!!   Love those double decker porches! And I bet that tin roof sounds AMAZING WHEN IT RAINS.




A neat little gazebo in a small park:


another older Lowcountry cottage:



A very tall tower!





another lovely old home. Wouldn't you love to know it's stories??? I would....



On the way out of town we passed this little shop. It used to be the neatest little souvineer and gift shop. It looked like it had closed. 




it poured the rain on us driving back to Charleston!


******************************************************

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures!! Every one of them. Old houses, new houses, I guess any building at all interests me. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am fascinated with the old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I love these photos of this charming place. Thanks for telling us about the books, too.
    Finally getting settled after moving and looking forward to catching up with you.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love that mermaid! You got some amazing photos along the way...love the old houses and unique things like the frames. And I like this author, too. She always writes books about places I like. Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete