"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

peacock dress

outside Elizabeth Verner's studio

pretty wreath on the door

Sharing some artwork by my favorite-Elizabeth O'Neil Verner. She is known as a "Charleston 'Renaissance  Artist". With a group of her artist friends, they began a cultural renewal  that led to historical preservation in our city. ( I think this was in the 1920s and 1930s)



I love her etchings, drawings, and pastels! She did such interesting street scenes, memorable people, churches, porches, and historical buildings and gates. I never tire of looking at them.
She was born in Charleston in 1883, over on Chalmers Street--remember the old "pink house" we visited a few posts back?--that street. She came from a big family--11 sisters and two brothers!
 When her husband died in 1923 she was left to raise her children alone and began selling her work to make a living. She published books of her work and sold them to tourists.


She lived to be 95 years old! (1979)





I was introduced to Elizabeth through these books:

I've been enjoying  her sidewalk scenes ever since!





 








I got a new dress this summer and it has peacocks on it, you know how much I love peacocks! It has long sleeves so I really couldn't wear it until we had a short "cool snap" a week or two ago and then I was able to finally wear my new dress.





Here are the peacocks all around the bottom of my dress:


It's a "hippie dress"...fun to wear! LOL


Beads today: my gold leaves and a very bright rainbow bead necklace







Night is softly falling. We can glimpse paintings and ornate chandeliers inside people's homes.

Streetlights glow in the October evening and someone is grilling a delicious smelling supper in their back yard! TV screens flicker inside cozy parlours as people search for their favorite shows. A few nightbirds chirp and sing.
A ship's horn bellows in the harbour and a distant dog barks. Bats swoop up and down in the cool night air.  Children are being bathed and tucked into beds. In the cool evening, century-old windows are open to the Fall evening breezes and snatches of conversations, laughter, and music are heard. Someone practices the piano.
Our city is quiet and peaceful, settling down for another night of rest.

6 comments:

  1. Your narrative from "Night is softly falling" is exquisite!! and the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely. You certainly make that "old city" come back to life in a lovely way. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love your peacock dress! Glad you finally were able to wear it! This was beautiful in so many ways. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those works of art. You live in an amazing city. Never enough time to see it all. I like your cute new dress. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Debbi!!! I do so love you! I wish I could walk right into the scene you painted with your words. Night is softly falling......simply lovely.
    I LOVE your peacock dress!!!! Wish you could wiggle your nose and be HERE and we would walk down to visit the two peacocks and one peahen here at the ranch. They have molted so no beautiful feathers to fan and shake. But the colors on the peacock's head are so beautiful!
    Love your 'hippy' look and attitude! What a fun gal you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new dress...peacocks how pretty and colorful! We had a few days with cool temps and I hope they come back soon! lol I thought of you when I did my post today. I know we both love a touch of magic and fun! Enjoy your day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her work is beautiful and really captures your wonderful city. And you look darling!

    ReplyDelete