"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Monday, June 1, 2015

The old Shingler House

When we walk past this old house, I usually pause to take pictures. 
This is one of my favorites, because of all the angles and textures.



I just love this big tall TALL ORNATE DOOR! Love the workmanship!

The house was built by William Shingler, who was born in 1827. He was a wealthy banker and planter and he and his brother worked in cotton. He married twice, the last time to Susan Venning. After the war, he became a state Senator. 



The house has a huge yard, I think I read somewhere it has the biggest lot of any of the the downtown homes.


Its an amazing old house!

9 comments:

  1. Wow it's a beauty! You really are fortunate to live where you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a gorgeous old house, so much attention to the pretty details, so many of which i love. it looks to be in pretty good shape, is it a museum??

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful old home! they just don't build 'em like that anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does have that wonderful old Southern charm! Enjoy your afternoon my friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charleston. I've read and seen so many photo's of it..such beautiful homes. The one is an amazing, and I was wondering if anyone actually resides in it. It's built to last..I wish our homes were like that. I think California expected to crumble into the sea one day so didn't bother about building substantial. :) All of our homes are just props. LOL I'm kidding!! It's early. Forgive me!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home... I love seeing your city :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a stately door! Is the house open for tours? I can just imagine how magnificent the inside must be too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are soooo like me!!! I LOVE the architecture of the old homes and their history!! Do they open it up for Christmas tours??? Charleston has so much history!!

    ReplyDelete