"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Sunday, May 3, 2015

"May Day! May Day!"

and a happy May Day it was.

There was a quiet "knock knock knock" at the front door, or so I thought.
I went and looked...and didn't see anyone.

I went back to frying bacon, as we were having 'breakfast for supper' night and not only was I frying bacon, but trying a new recipe for stuffed french toast.
"knock knock knock" it went again. The dogs were friendly barking, and wagging.
Then I saw her....a tiny little granddaughter, hiding in the bushes and clutching bright posies. 
So I played along....and even started "knock knock knocking" back. 

then I slowly opened up the door, and tiny hands delicately pushed the bouquet in through the open door.

And then they ran ran ran....as fast as they could, giggling all the way. 
Because THAT is what May Day is. 
So...did you 'may day' anyone or did anyone get you?
Picked this up the other day:
Its put out by one of my favorite magazines, Coastal Living. I love some of the gorgeous pictures  in it.
Scenes from our walk last night:
Now THOSE are some big and bright May Day baskets! I'll take two! LOL
(below) bamboo growing up the side of a brick house
The Confederate jasmine is in rampant bloom and the scent is intoxicating!
I know this picture is blurry, but I wanted to show y'all these bright and pretty flowers....and I LOVE these people's patterned sidewalk! I am still practicing and learning to use my new camera!
These people have such pretty flowers every year.
Do you see the lone plant that has sprung to life way up there by that window?


Enjoyed seeing this church.
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. It was built in 1854.
It was burned down, then re-built. The workmanship is so amazing to me. I love the old tool chiseled brownstone. I got lucky with the lighting.
My closest view:
I love this sea mist green townhouse! Alot of the old homes on this street belonged to sea captains.
This is an elegant courtyard inside:

By the time the sun was setting, we were all getting tired and ready to head back to "the Front Porch"!

7 comments:

  1. Happy May, Debbi! What a pretty bouquet you were lucky to receive from your grand to mark the month of May! I am in love with Picture #8 (from top), as I adore old buildings dotted with pretty petals - so utterly charming!

    Have a wonderful week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart would have been thumping with happiness to get a May Day bouquet from a little granddaughter too! My two little ones are 3 hours away and I don't get to see them often enough for me. I enjoy so much your pictures about town. To be able to peek into these gardens is a gift. That blue and white walk is very cool.

    On the one day I spent in Charleston as a young teenager we went into a gorgeous church that was the oldest church in Charleston. Would that have been St. John's? We sat inside on the wooden pews on a hot summer day and it was so quiet and cool and a holy experience just to be there.

    Then we headed back to Myrtle Beach. Never went back but I sure would love to some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful city - I have to add it to my list of places to visit! Love the pictures of buildings and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbi! Thank you for taking me along with you on your walk! What a beautiful stroll and the blooming flowers just make my heart skip a beat! So much beauty to be seen.
    I giggled when I read your 'hooga chocka'! :) Yep, the group called Blue Suede recorded that version sometime in the early 70s but B. J. Thomas' was the original in the 60s. You're probably not old enough to know aboutnthat version.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved all of your photos, those old mansions are just amazing! And I can almost smell all of the pretty blooms from here! Love the pic of you and your pups, too:) That is so neat the little girl surprised you with a May Day bouquet! That makes me happy to know that the age old tradition still lives on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post..such a sweet beginning...and of course I never get tired of looking at old building..or new ones for that matter. A few days from May Day..but..I do love the month of May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet May Day surprise. I've given flowers on May Day to my mom since I was in first grade. She knows it's me but it's still fun to knock on her door and run off.
    Gorgeious area you had for your walk. So much to see there.

    ReplyDelete