"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Friday, September 27, 2019

Elvis and the Oldies

This reproduction Victrola record player was my Christmas present from Mr. Front Porch two Christmases ago. I just love it, it's so fun! Can anyone guess which album this is?


Yes, it's Elvis' "Moody Blue" album, from 1977, I think it was. I think that is also the summer Elvis passed away.
 At the time, I was fascinated how they made the record blue, it was neat and different. I played this poor thing to pieces, LOL, and I got it out when I got my record player, and yes, after all these years, it still played just fine.

I even remembered the words to some (most!)of the songs! LOL
Thinking of blue records brings to mind a few other songs...I remember "red roses for a blue lady"--was that Bobby Vinton? And a song that sang "she wore bluuuuuuuuuue velvet"---who was that?!
I also remember the Beatles "white album" and it wasn't white, ha ha LOL. It was a two album set if I remember correctly?
That brings to mind that melancholy song "knights in white satin"...who was that?? Oh yes, the Moody Blues I think?I also called it "knights in white satin" and maybe it actually was "NIGHTS in white satin"??
 Anyone  know for sure? LOL
 That's weird, as that is the name of the Elvis album(moody blue) I was writing about, and here I am writing about the Moody Blues.. ha ha LOL Well, anyway, I played this record to pieces. ha ha
Didn't Neil Diamond sing "song sung blue"?
Another one of my favorite old songs about color was "Green Tambourine", loved that song!
And there was "yellow Submarine" by the Beatles. 
I don't know why, but I kept a good many of my old records. I've carted them around throughout the years, through many many moves. We all know, "records" went out of style long long ago, LOL.
(David Cassidy did a dreamy version of "Cherish" for sure!)

 I guess I hung onto some of mine for just sentimental reasons...and now I'm so glad I did as they play just fine on my new "old" record player. ha ha It plays albums, cassettes and the radio too.


yes, I sure did love the Partridge Family!


Daydream Believer---what a pretty song!!

Remember "8-tracks"? I had that in my car, LOL! I didn't save any of those. They were big and bulky and you could buy storage boxes and carry cases for them. Big heavy clunky things. I even remember when "walkmans" first came out, ha ha, do you? LOL



Y'all remember "45's"? I saved my allowance and babysitting money (it was 50 cents AN HOUR BACK THEN, y'all! ha ha LOL) to buy all the newest 45's. So I had a huge collection. They were small and pretty portable, we would carry stacks of them to slumber parties and share.  You had to put some kind of an adapter on your record player to get it to play 45's.
And we had to buy needles, ha ha LOL!!--record player needles wore out and had to be replaced from time to time.
Oh yes I sure did love my Partridge Family!--Shirley, Susan, David and all the rest.
....and the Cowsills!!---the family the show was based on! They had some great songs! (like that "flowers in her hair, flowers EVERYWHERE!! happy happy HAPPY" song! They had such nice harmonies...... And little Susan Cowsill, oh my gosh SHE COULD DANCE! She was adorable.

to see Susan and her family performing, click here:
the Cowsills performing

So cute in her little white knee socks, ruffled blouse and ruffled wrists, and white skirt!!
Goodness, she could dance circles around anyone else on that stage, couldn't she? Very confident for such a young girl.
 That was probably my favorite Cowsills song---Indian Lake.
Some of this old music, the "bubblegum music"---well, it just makes you happy, doesn't it?
Do you remember Paul Revere and the Raiders? The Monkees? Lulu? Petula Clark? the Left Banke?the Fifth Dimension? The Carpenters? The Turtles? The Buckinghams? Three Dog Night? the McCoys? the Association? Dionne Warwick? the Hollies? The Lemon Pipers? the Temptations?Spanky and our Gang? the Lovin Spoonful? the Byrds?



Old songs you loved? Old records you still treasure?

4 comments:

  1. Debbi, Two of my sisters and a sister in law went to see Elvis n concert, a year before he passed away. I remember all those groups, totally loved the Carpenters. Still do love to hear their songs. I still love old time rock and roll...always will. I guess I like all music except rap. Love the blue record you have kept all these years. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a record player when I was 11 or 12 years old! My favorite song back then was Johnny Angel by Shelly Fabares......
    I so enjoyed going down Memory Lane with you this morning. Your husband gave you the perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two big boxes of albums from the 60’s and 70’s, but nothing to spin them on. Two of my children want them (they have the needed turntables) so I know they will go to someone who appreciates them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we still have a lot of vinyl records, my husbands entire collection!! i was not an elvis fan, sorry!! i had a crush on, the boss, fleetwood mac, queen, billy joel, elo, eagles, elton john......ok, wow, that's enough!! we recently gave our turntable to our son, we never used it!!!

    i like some new music but "our" music really perks my ears up!!!

    ReplyDelete