"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Friday, February 16, 2018

Love in the Past

Mr. Front Porch inherited a box of letters and cards from his Grandparents, cards written and sent in the 1940s. What a lovely time I had going through them and thinking about the lives our Grandparents had. The 1940s are one of my favorite eras, I love the fashion back then, the music, the furniture and home furnishings, and I will ALWAYS choose a forties era movie over any other.
Delicate flowers, washed out colors.



















Mr. Front Porch told me I could do what I wanted with the cards. I not only think they are pretty, but they are a piece of history, so I wanted to display them somehow. So I laid them flat, collage style, in a big frame and now I can see them every day and they are protected.
Do any of you save old cards and letters?

8 comments:

  1. i have every letter and card my husband has ever sent/given to me. in 1976 and 1977, i was in nursing school and he wrote me letters, beautiful letter and i have them all. i still save every card he gives me.

    these cards are so reminiscent of years past, i love the script handwriting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have this wonderful collection! I know you treasure them. I think they look so pretty on display. I have to admit something now...because you asked! I bought a small collection of old Valentines from a lady on Etsy. They are from her family. Can't imagine how she could get rid of them but I am happy to have them. I've always wanted some and never found any. I'm keeping them in a little keepsake box now that the holiday is over. I felt so moved looking at each one and reading them. What sweet sweet history! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your old cards and letters. I don't have any as old as yours, but I do have several from the 1960's and 1970's. You're right. The colors, the lace, the hand writing, all was beautiful back in the 40's. Sure wish life was as simple and as beautiful now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection to have. They are beautiful. I do keep certain cards and keep them in a special basket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just magic, Debbi. I especially love that some of the envelopes with postmarks are included. There is something about being able to hold and touch these messages of love that one person cared about enough to express to the other that just makes me smile and feel warm and wonderful inside. I'm glad that love is remembered today, even if we don't know those who sent the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT find and a real gift to have forever. I save most all the cards and letters I get. I have a plastic box that has divided areas in it I have them all organized by the person that sent them to me. I want them to know someday how precious each and every card/letter was to me. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Gypsy....this is a lovely post...and I love the 40's, too as I was a young child during this time. I can remember the hair styles and dresses my mama and aunts wore...so many things I can remember during that time...saving all metal cans to make airplanes, my mama was a Rosie the Riveter... war bonds and ration books (I still have mine)..

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Debbi and what a nice idea to display them like that. I have a lot of old cards from this time period that were saved by my mother and grandmother. I love looking at them.

    ReplyDelete