"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Charleston Scenes and Summer Reads

We were in Charleston last week so I have some pictures.













I made the picture above a few years ago, I love the colors!

"Built mainly in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the cosmopolitan charm of the burgeoning port city had attracted wealthy merchants and planters who had enthusiastically  built homes to escape  the hot summers inland. The first Civil War shots fired at Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor marked the beginning of the rapid decline of the South's-and Charleston's- affluence. Even during the difficult Reconstruction years, most Charlestonians were financially unable to replace their early structures with the more modern Victorian homes being built elsewhere in the country. It was simply because of circumstance that over eight hundred original structures had survived not only the war, but later hurricanes, fires and earthquakes, to stand before him today. And so Charlie had grown up knowing the narrow, crooked alleys, fine wrought iron, boot scrapers, brass locks, and arched fanlights. He wouldn't have it any other way."
........Margaret Ann Reid








one of my most favorite alleys








Summer Reads
I finished the book below, it was good!

These books are in my "to read" stack:



I read this one, it was pretty good:

in the stack:











These two by  Lisa Wingate and Patti Callahan Henry I finished and they were very good!
 Will read the one below soon:




So, have you read any of these books and do you have any to recommend that you are enjoying?

I hope everyone is staying safe from the high heat and the storms that went through.
Take care

5 comments:

  1. Love your photos of Charleston. Looks like you've been doing a lot of reading. I'm not familiar with those except for the one by Lisa Wingate, Before We Were Yours. I may have to check out the others. Been thinking about you...Take care my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always enjoy your visits to charleston, and the beauty it offers that you always seem to find. i remember that alleyway and pictures of you in it!! you may remember that i do not read, but i am sure others appreciate your recommendations for summer reading!! how are you doing out in the country, i wonder how that garden is doing?!?! are you happier in the country??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just applied for a Car Loan from Mr Pedro and his investment funding company and an Unsubsidized Loan. After doing some research on different lenders I chose Discover because they seem to offer some of the best benefits in the market (at this precise moment in time) at a 2% rate. Contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com via WhatsApp: +393510140339. to apply for any type of loan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a good stack of books to read. I read mostly mysteries and am reading a series by Harini Nagendra that I just know you would love! Happy Friday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I comment on this blog, at some point while I am typing, the page jerks upward and my partially written comment disappears. So this is my second try: Wrought iron and boot scrapers! So very Charleston! I have had a copy of Before We Were Yours for a few years now and it's time I read it. Thanks for the reminder~ xoxo

    ReplyDelete