"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, September 14, 2024

The Old Radio

 White Radio Memories


my Ma-Maw had a white plastic radio. It sat on top of her old fashioned Kelvinator ice box all my life. The radio came on first thing every morning.

There was local news, weather, temperature, and music.

I have a tiny miniature radio sitting next to the white one.


This lively song reminds me of Ma-Maw's radio:

There’s lonely hearts in Arkansas, there’s truckers in Des Moines
all there to keep me company in the early morn.
A world unknown to daytime is forever going on
the airways of the nation between midnight and the dawn.
Late nite radio, take it everywhere I go. My best friend when I’m lonely is my late nite radio.

Well I turn the dial, a little bit past one-o-one point two
in time to catch the news and see who’s shooting who.
Then I hunt around for old songs, they’re so good to hear again.
To think of how it was, imagine how it might have been.

                                           sung by John Denver

I still LOVE IRONING.

My love of ironing goes back to hot hot summer days with my Ma-Maw. I learned to iron by practicing on pillowcases and my Pa-Paw's big white handkerchiefs. The smell of starch filled the porch and ice cold glass bottles of Dr. Pepper were kept near-by, as well as a big glass pitcher of sweet tea. There was no air conditioning and summertime was hot. Fans set in open windows whirred warm air around, giving relief when you were inside the house.

That old radio kept us company, playing Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash,  Dolly Parton,  Barbara Mandrell, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, and the happy gospel music of the Carter Family, Maybelle Carter and June Carter Cash.

We would take a break in the old porch swing, heavily and thickly padded with soft old handmade quilts.
  We would fan with "church fans" and talk about what was for supper--maybe it was crispy pork chops and Ma-Maw's "tater" cakes, made from last night's left-over mashed "taters", oh...those were SO GOOD.  There would be cornbread slathered in sweet butter and a big bowl of black eye peas too.

Fall is now about to arrive, and we're having some cool breezes.....so welcome! The best "porch sittin" weather.

a few late Summer scenes:


Callie the Barn Cat guarding her Kingdom

Bright beauty berries




my Old Maids, still blooming strong



its a WEED, but I think they're pretty!

and the rose bush burst into full bloom again:


How is it where you live?
There's been so much going on here, I am glad to be back and I'm going to try to catch up with all of you!


3 comments:

  1. Love this post about the radio and the time spent with your Ma-maw! Precious memories for sure. I remember those hot summer days without AC, and having to do housework and ironing. Yes, we used to listen the radio too, but my sister and I listened to the local "rock music" of the day...50's and 60's style. We had our little transistor radios that we could take with us on trips, but it was often hard to find stations from our car and out on the highways through the mountains. I love seeing your flowers and other pictures. You have been MISSED here, and I am SO glad you are back!!! Praise God for many answered prayers! I hope you have a lovely rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll play for song for Louis Dean!!! Haven't heard that one in a long long time!
    It's looking good at your place! We spent a good part of the day working on our yard! Love you, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh that old radio, such nostalgia!! we are taking care of chucks mother right now and she listens to an old radio just like that one. your hummingbird is lovely, they have left here for winter. your yard still looks good, we closed the pool, we are starting to pull everything out of the ground. the weather has been so hot, we have been very busy with fun fall festivals!!

    ReplyDelete