"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Friday, November 13, 2015

Sunshine State Road Side Stands

Looking Back, the best of Summer 2015
****************************************
Florida's Roadside Stands


I love roadside stands.........the more colorful and the more remote and out in the country....the better!



All kinds of pretty colorful things swinging in the tropical breezes to catch your eye. 

yep, places like this one pull me in EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Cant resist. Gave up trying.
I mean..how could you just keep on going....drive on by? With so many neat and interesting things to look at!?




Look at all that pretty blown glass in shades of pink and blue. I see flamingoes....and seashells........
and a tank with little baby alligators lounging around. They were so cute!
and a big huge one up there in the big front window. Not so cute.






Lots of fun magnets.
All kinds of gadgets and knick-knacks and pretty little boxes.


And of course, lots of coffee cups, spoon rests, shot glasses and ash trays.


I thought these little seashell baskets with starfish were especially pretty.


where Else can you run in and buy fishing tackle, a cup of coffee and a bologna sandwich, a coconut head, a watermelon and a sack of onions, fill up your gas tank, chat with your neighbors and buy a little present for a birthday (those lovely lofty macrame shell hanging thingies!).....and check out the alligators all at the same time?














........bless their hearts. Poor little things.

12 comments:


  1. Many years ago we piled our seven children and two dogs into a Volkswagon van and traveled to Florida for my husbands final tour of duty in the Marine Corp. We could be stationed any place we wished for that last of 20 years, and we chose Florida. My husbands family was from there..
    My first view of Florida was a big colorful fruitstand standing by the side of the road. Just one of many we were to see..and I was fascinated. Being from Southern California..we didn't see those often. Even less now. It was beautiful! I loved our year there..except for a few minor things. :) Not the same kind of heat as Californa and it dropped to 18 degree's the winter/
    Still...a lovely state. There is something so special about fruit stands that makes you almost have to stop and see what wonderful things they have for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection of photos. I remember passing a lot of these roadside stands. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have an abundance of Roadside Stands around the Metro Phoenix area when there was more Agricultural land and Orchards... alas, Urban Sprawl has eradicated most of them. But every once in a while I can still find some and I'm Thankful that now Farmer's Markets are springing up everywhere on the Weekends so we can still get some of the Fresh from the Farm Produce that the old Roadside Stands always provided! Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  4. florida is a "colorful" sate and i think their gift shops are the most unique!!!

    i LOVE roadside stands. here in new jersey a lot of them are really small, family run, from fairly tiny farms. those are the best!! i always look for them and support them every time i can. it's so much better to buy local!!!

    awesome images, really showing off the flavor of florida!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few very similar shops that I always visit when I go to the Texas coast. They are delightful places! They really pull us in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbi, I love road side stands. It always seems everything is so much fresher than from the stores, and it looks like you have a very fancy one by you..Happy Thanksgiving to you..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh;, I love these shops and stands...and BOO to the alligator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbi, growing up in Florida....these just bring back memories.

    Wow.....I love them all.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colourful snaps of fruits and veggies; I love the watermelons!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love stopping at them too, Debbi! Almost as much as when I was a child. And I remember clearly the alligators, even seeing a man wrestling one once, long ago! I think I'd have to have one of those macrame chandeliers for a screened porch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love stopping at them too, Debbi! Almost as much as when I was a child. And I remember clearly the alligators, even seeing a man wrestling one once, long ago! I think I'd have to have one of those macrame chandeliers for a screened porch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks very very familiar! I love the shell macrame! Oh....and the oranges! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete