"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Winter Beach

And up we went............ over the big bridge, and then over a much smaller one, to get to Sullivan's Island

Past Dunleavy's............
.........and then onto the sand.


A pretty rainbow sun dog greets us!



Here comes a big one!
We love to come down here where the big ships come and go! I love to wonder where they're from and where they are going!



Here--some glimpses of what the Harbour Pilot does:
They guide the huge ships in and out of ports. They climb the ladders (with both boats moving!) to board the huge tankers and  container ships, this is a calm peaceful one, but I've read horror stories of them climbing those rope ladders in rough seas with big waves and strong winds!--scary!. This one is boarding via ladder, but they also board by helicopter as well. 
The pilots know exactly where the dangerous shallow water is, narrow areas, the shoals, rocks, etc., and know the local tides and currents. They know the docking and un-docking maneuvers and are excellent ship handlers.
Charleston is a sea port, so we have pilots. They steer the big ships in and out of our harbor safely so the ships can load and unload their cargo.
(I never knew any of this until Mr. Front Porch told me about it and gave me a book about it.)



Happy dogs run, play, and sniff...........



............and some SWIM.

I would NEVER let our girls swim out in those waters.....there are SHARKS! We've seen them, others have seen them, I cringe and get all nervous when I see dogs do this, especially in this deep deep water. I'm cringing until the dog is safely back on land.
Check out the size of the PAWS on this dog! LOL



Today: big jangly "pearls" LOL


I photographed alot of RUST today! LOL















out catching shrimp





Colorful wild beach flowers


As nightfall comes, we are up and over the big bridge, headed home!


We're headed home to watch........................................
yep!--Downton finally got us! HA HA lol


I know, I'm late to the party, LOL. when the show was actually big on tv, I just never got around to watching it. (it started in 2010,  I think?)
We're now on Season 4. I love it! Especially the sets, the countryside and village views, the glimpses of all the furniture and opulent furnishings in the huge English estate, and the pretty COSTUMES. 
I love the bits of history thrown in....women getting the vote, the Titanic, the War and it' s aftermath, etc.
I knew the movie Downton Abbey came out this Fall, and I saw this book about it.  But after a few pages, I had to STOP reading it as it's a big spoiler alert, ha ha. The movie picks up where the tv show ended and shows what the family has been up to. Since we are only in Season 4, I didn't want to spoil all our next seasons. I did make a few pictures though...Lady Mary looks so sophisticated and her hair is BOBBED! ha ha
ooops, funny--my camera flash erased the Countess Dowager's face, ha ha LOL



So...........did you watch Downton???? did you love it? Did you go see the movie?

7 comments:

  1. Debbi, Love the pictures. Your beach looks nice even in winter. I have never watched that show, because I would want to see it from the beginning. LOL. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Debbi!!! I love everything about my visit here with you this afternoon!!!! GREAT beach pics! Love all that rust and so interesting about the ships. Love those big pearls you wore!
    Yes. I am a Downton Abbey fan.....watched all the seasons more than once! Loved the movie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those happy dogs! Back "home" in San Diego we have "dog beach"...our dogs loved to go! Cool rusty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we rarely see sundogs up here. That's a fabulous photo and I love the thought of a beach in winter. I'm glad you're catching up to Downton Abbey. I loved every episode. More than once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos of the ocean...the ships and beach! WOW! You live in a beautiful place and I know you love to get out and walk. We bought the Downton Abbey DVD and it's GOOD! Happy watching the show! We still pull it out and watch it again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy we got to go along and enjoy the views with you. Love the bridge! I love that you throw something in that is unexpected like a airplane:) and pretty flowers and loved the info on the pilots and how they get on board. No never watched that show but have enjoyed other series including the one we are watching now "Madam Secretary".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice....I love all the pics. Esp wood and rust, I love rust! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete