"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Sunday, February 10, 2019

NIPPER


I read this charming story book to granddaughter--it's the story of Nipper, who lived with Miss Charlotta in Charleston on the Battery. They go out to stay at the family's home, Drayton Hall, in the summertime, and the book is about the little dog's adventures, long long ago.





The illustrations are so cute!



After reading the book a few times, we set out to show her where Nipper had lived.





The Drayton plantation house out in the country



Miss Charlotta and I think this may be Nipper?

Charlotta's city home

see the "owl" up there on the top left perched up on the little balcony railing?





closer view of the owl. He's been sitting up there for years! LOL

very old chimney


Nipper's city yard



Granddaughter was completely captivated by this book and plunked right down on the tall stairs to read the book again!


We also drove her out to see where the rest of Nipper's story takes place--out at the old Drayton plantation home



"this is really where he lived, Ma-Maw? This is where he chased his red ball and saw the alligator?"....Yes, when you can show the places a child reads about and loves to them, it brings the whole story alive and I hope it brings the history alive for her.

3 comments:

  1. It's wonderful with lovely illustrations, too. And of course, a real place! I love the idea that you could take your little to this spot and bring the story to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun thing to do! I think my granddaughter might enjoy that book too.

    ReplyDelete