"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Mystery building

I  have always been drawn to this building. I've photographed it many times over the years, especially during different seasons and sunsets.


I finally went and did some research to see what this Gothic Revival style building was!

It was built in 1871, when the Grand Lodge of ancient Free Masons of South Carolina laid the cornerstone.

Much remodeling over the years, especially in the 1920s and 1940s, caused this building to lose it's orginal character. You can see how they closed off those big tall windows to make them smaller.


The three story building had a big 40 foot coved ceiling in the Grand Lodge room and it had five big gas chandeliers.
The upper floors were used for the Ancient Free Masons of South Carolina to gather and conduct meetings. They helped to finish building the structure in 1872
Historic Charleston photo








I've always wondered about the old building, and now I know!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debbi, I love old buildings too. Thanks for the back story on this one. I have to tell you the last time I had gone to town with my daughter, as walked by the courthouse, she showed me the cornerstone that shows the sea level of our town. I had never seen that in all my years. LOL It's nice to see things you did not know were there. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! Thanks for sharing your research and especially the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad that they covered those beautiful old windows!! The building must have been magnificent in its day!

    ReplyDelete