"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Friday, April 3, 2015

GOOD FRIDAY 2015


It's easy to understand why our city is known as "the Holy City". We have numerous churches on every corner and in between. Historic churches. OLD CHURCHES. I never tire of viewing them, and touring the insides of as many as I can. We discovered this one when SEWE was going on. Wasnt the sky the most gorgeous shade of BLUE that day?



I love the old churches because of the history. We can learn so much from their histories....the lives of the people that made up the various churches in our old city. I love looking at the churches....but I'm also so intrigued by their grave yards........so many neat and interesting things to read. The old fashioned NAMES OF THE LADIES for one thing. I really like to discover new ones. They all seemed so feminine back then. Well, then again....women DID BEHAVE like actual ladies back then, didn't they?

I also love to get photographs that show the age of the buildings...........and the textures and colors of the old bricks. You can sure tell this one has withstood the tests of time.

One thing is for sure.......all Charleston's churches will be full to capacity this Easter Sunday....you can count on that....Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday.....the two most holy days of the year for Christians. However---the churches are well attended year round for the most part as well.
 Church bells peal out often as we navigate downtown streets to run errands and get to places we need to go. Their songs play in the background as we take our walks. Many of them chime the hour and we have become used to it....the soundtrack that accompanies life in Charleston. The famous bells of St. Michaels clang loudly as we return library books, hike the cobblestone streets and alleys with the dogs, window shop during the holidays, go for dessert on a weekday evening, or eat a fried chicken picnic on our favorite bench at the harbor. There is a small Catholic church on the north side that plays lovely songs off and on all day. One of my favorite occasions is when the bells peal for a newly married couple as they exit the church. 

These are some pretty Victorian houses right by this church. I love the double decker porches. Those are "summer sweet tea" porches if I ever saw one!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the amazing churches and homes in your area. You truly live in an ideal place! So much beauty and history; I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful churches for sure. Loved those front porches. - Just became a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so stopping by Debbi. I have signed up to follow your blog. Love the south and your photos are stunning. I was born in VA so I do love the south, except for the humidity, Thanks for following me.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really beautifully written post. I could feel myself there, if only for a moment. Gorgeous pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete