"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

dirt road Sunday --lots of Cotton

 

"Sunday Best". Headed to church. Happy to wear my new peacock scarf!


Yay! The bright beautiful Goldenrod is here! First sign of Fall. I've always called it Goldenrod, but it is very likely that is not what this is, and it's just some kind of weed. LOL Whatever it IS...I think it's pretty! LOL


I'm laughing here because...........(above) Before and After. Mr. Front Porch made the above picture and we headed on our way and then he notices and says "oooops! Did you want to take your sunglasses off for the picture, because you forgot?" So we did a "re-do". ha ha LOL

everything is still very green here..... no brown spots or Fall leaves yet



It's time for cotton! I love to make pictures in the huge cotton fields!

If you're out there very early in the morning on a misty sunrise......it totally looks like it snowed overnight


(below)I've been watching these fields all Summer, eagerly awaiting the fluffy booms to burst forth!




early cotton blossoms




Fluffy white fields of snow.......

such pretty sunset clouds!



the big 'ole full moon was so bright and pretty. I think this was a Supermoon? the last one of the year. And also the Harvest Moon.


....and harvest we did.  It's now sweet "tater" harvest time.





We got some BIG ONES! lol


"Shine on Harvest Moon"---the song came out in the early 1900s during a Ziegfeld Follies, and was featured in many 1940s era movies. I love those old 1940s movies!
 
"The night was mighty dark so you could hardly see
 For the moon refused to shine.
Couple sitting underneath a willow tree
For love they did pine.
Little maid was kinda 'fraid of darkness
so she said "I guess I'll go"
Boy began to sigh, looked up at the sky,
and told the moon his little tale of woe.
Oh shine on, shine on Harvest Moon
up in the sky,
I ain't had no loving 
since April...January...June....or July.
Snow time, ain't no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon
so shine on, shine on Harvest Moon.
For me and my gal."

How is your week coming along?




3 comments:

  1. Just got home! It was such a wonderful but busy week, and we are SO tired...but tomorrow is a big day so I can't stop yet. We saw cotton fields in GA today on our way home...fields and fields white unto harvest!!! Yes, I think of the "manna" falling down from heaven when I see it!. I LOVE your peacock scarf, and your whole outfit! So beautiful...my favorite colors. Love your pictures, both with and w/o the sunglasses! LOL. I love that song. My parents used to sing it to each other because they met during the "harvest moon" back in the early 40's. I may have written about it some time ago. I haven't had time yet to post anything new...if I can I will do a quick post tonight. Talk to you later, dear friend. Love the 'taters"! They are big ones!!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures, Debbi! Sunglasses on or off-you are as cute as can be. Cotton fields are amazing. The first time I actually touched cotton bolls I was amazed at the 'prickly' part of them. You always think of cotton as being soft as down...but there is a bite to it. I can't imagine people picking it by hand for years and years. Have a wonderful week! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just commenting and my comment went away the screen scrolled up real fast, so if you see a partial comment, please delete, hahaha! As I was saying: We are doing spectacularly, and you look spectacular in that peacock scarf. Both coming and going, with and without shades. Speaking of coming and going, do you and MFP really go to church by walking down a dirt road? That is unreal charming! I want to do that, haahaha! And yes, that harvest moon was really something. I love me a baked sweet tater but wouldn't know the first thing about growing one! Luckily they have 'em down at the Cracker Barrel. Happy Tuesday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete