"Following where my camera leads me!"

"Following where my camera leads me!"

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Old Rice Mill building


Well, this interesting old building has always intrigued me. I always wondered just what it was? It's heavily fenced off, and there are steel beams holding the remains of the building up.... so these are the best pictures I could do. That fencing even has the sharp wire on the top. Not climbing over that! LOL

The best I could find out, it was built in 1844 by Governor Thomas Bennett. He was a wealthy plantation owner. I read that it was actually the smallest of our cities six rice mills but produced more than any of  them-- over 280,000 lbs of rice a day.
Situated right on a busy waterfront, the mill was steam powered and had eleven foot high ceilings inside.The building fell into dis-repair after the Civil War but was reopened for a time in the 1920s as a Planter's Peanut and chocolate factory.
I guess the poor building has sure been through alot, wars, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes. I'm surprised it's still standing at all. I sure would like to get in there and get some decent pictures of it!








This is the only picture I could find of when the building was still intact. I don't know the year it was taken.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a grand old building at some point in time. The curved window above the door intrigues me. That would be a lot of bricks for making garden paths!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so neat to find old building like this and I'm like you...wonder what's still inside. And look at all the bricks! There's a ton of them...or more! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like it was a beauty - they just don't make them like this anymore!!! it sounds like it may be sitting on a piece of valuable land!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was a magnificent building in its day. Too bad it has fallen into such a state. I love all that old brickwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old buildings and homes. I go by some and have to wonder what took place in there and why it was not kept up or why it was not still in use. Great pics and nice to learn some of the history.

    ReplyDelete